Queensland court awards temporary order prohibiting the naming of high-profile man accused of rape
A high-profile man accused of rape has been granted a temporary court order preventing him from being named when new Queensland laws come into effect next week.
The man was charged with two counts of rape in January, after being accused of the offence in Toowoomba in 2021, but he is yet to be committed to stand trial.
Under existing law in the state, a person accused of sexual offence cannot be named until they have been committed to stand trial – but that is set to change on Tuesday.
Queensland passed laws in September which were a recommendation of the Women’s Safety and Justice Taskforce in July 2022, and bring the state into line with most other states and territories to allow the naming of accused sex offenders after they are charged.
The laws, which will be retrospective, will take effect on 3 October. They are likely to be immediately relevant to the man’s case.
The man’s lawyers have said they will apply for a non-publication order “as soon as practical” after the legislation comes into effect, according to a decision published by the Supreme Court of Queensland.
Earlier this year, media applied for the right to name the high-profile individual but were refused.
In the interim, the court ruled that the status quo would apply.
More to come…
This story was updated on 29 September 2023 after an earlier version said an interim order had been made by the court. A temporary order has been made.