Brazil cyclone leaves at least 21 dead, over 1,600 displaced
A powerful storm in southern Brazil has killed at least 21 people, displaced over 1,600 others and flooded numerous cities on Tuesday.
The fatalities marked the state’s highest total due to a climate-related event, said Rio Grande do Sul Gov. Eduardo Leite.
The storm was classified as an extratropical cyclone, affecting roughly 60 cities across the region and so far destroying the homes of 1,650 people, the Rio Grande do Sul government stated.
In the city of Mucum, home to about 50,000, there were 15 deaths recorded from one household impacted by the storm.
Authorities there advised residents to prepare supplies to last them the next 72 hours as rescue efforts continued.
As it happens
Get updates on the coronavirus pandemic and other news as it happens with our free breaking news email alerts.
“There are still people missing. The death toll might climb higher,” said local Mayor Mateus Trojan. “The town of Mucum as we knew it no longer exists.”
Footage showed people on the roofs of their homes, calling out for help as rivers below overflowed.
Leite shared that one death occurred as a woman was swept away by the powerful waters during an attempted rescue.
“I regret the death of a woman in a rescue attempt over the Taquari river,” he stated.
“The wire broke, she and a rescuer fell. Unfortunately the woman did not survive and the rescuer is seriously injured.”
Back in June, a cyclone hit the Rio Grande do Sul region and resulted in 16 deaths, as well as serious damage in 40 different cities.
With News Wire Services